Online video mediation the flexible way forward
We will always offer face to face mediation and have several venues across Greater Manchester as well as at our main office in Bury.
However, we found after having to provide online video mediation during the pandemic that many people prefer it and so we are writing this short blog to explain a bit more how it works and why it is good for many people who are separating and trying to sort out children, the house and money.
Some of the advantages
- Flexible rather than being limited by office hours
- More relaxed in your own home
- Easier to fit in with work and childcare as no time taken up travelling to a venue
- Particularly useful if you and the other person involved lives some distance from you – in the past we have had clients arguing about best or nearest venue and online mediation cuts out all of that.
- Some people say it feels less intense than bring sat in the same room as your ex
- Easy to use technology – either Zoom which lots of people learned to use during the pandemic, or Microsoft Teams which us very similar. We prefer Zoom as it makes sharing any documents easier but can offer either option.
How it works
We send you a link and you just click on that to join the session and the mediator admits you – no need for special equipment or headphones (despite image above!)
You are never left alone with your ex and the mediator can go back to talking to each of you separately if feelings run high.
As in all mediation the mediator encourages you to listen to each other and this works better online as the video link does not allow two people to talk at once!
I was worried it would feel strange seeing each other on a screen but the mediator made us feel relaxed and we soon got used to the video session and sorted out our finances and child arrangements quite quickly. I work part of the week in London so finding time to travel to meetings would…
I initially rejected mediation as I have young children and work so could not see how I could fit it in. Doing it online in an hour’s gap when my youngest was at nursery made it so much easier and we sorted everything in two sessions. I also felt less pressurised than if we had…
Want to talk to someobe today about virtual mediation?
Contact the service by phone or email for more information:
Children First Family Mediation
Tel: 0161 763 8793